Episode 9 - Hawaiian Luau episode
Hawaiian BBQ skewers with sriracha lime honey butter
· 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
· 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
· 2 tablespoons lime juice
· 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
· 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite size chunks
· 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
· 1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite sized chunks
· 1 orange bell pepper, chopped into bite size chunks
· 1 poblano pepper, chopped into bite size chunks
Sriracha Honey Butter
· 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
· 1-2 tablespoons sriracha
· 1 tablespoon honey
· zest of half a lime
1. To make the Hawaiian BBQ sauce, whisk together the BBQ sauce, pineapple juice, lime juice and cilantro in a medium size bowl. Now add the chicken to a gallon size ziplock bag or medium bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of the BBQ mixture.
2. Set your grill, grill pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces, pineapple chunks and bell peppers together, alternating one after another on skewers. Brush the skewers lightly with olive oil. Grill the skewers until lightly charred and cooked through, turning them occasionally throughout cooking, about 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer the skewers to a plate.
3. Brush the skewers with sriracha honey butter.
Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp
· 1 pound Shrimp, shells off
· 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
· 4 tablespoons salted butter
· 3 heads fresh garlic, minced
· 1 lemon
· ½ teaspoon course Hawaiian sea salt (regular sea salt is ok)
· ¼ teaspoon pepper
· ¼ teaspoon paprika
1. In a medium skillet on medium low heat, add 4 Tablespoons olive oil, 2 Tablespoons butter, and minced raw garlic. Saute the garlic until it is brown, tender and caramelized.
2. Add the salt, pepper, paprika, remaining butter, 1 T olive oil, and juice of one lemon. See notes. Let the sauce develop and carefully add the shrimp in one layer in the pan.
3. Shrimp cook quickly and only take about 1 or 2 minutes on each side. Do not overcook them or they will be rubbery and tough.
Mojito Watermelon pops
· ¾ cup of simple syrup
· 2 lbs. triangular seedless watermelon slices, rinds removed (slicing instructions below)
· 1 cup white rum
· 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
· 1/2 tsp mint extract (or more to taste)
· Fresh mint and crushed ice for garnish (optional)
1. Mix simple syrup, rum, lime juice, mint extract and pour over watermelon.
2. Let soak for 20 minutes to absorb the liquid.Skewer them and freeze for one hour before serving.